Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Djiboutian People

This last week was quite the memorable one. Through the local Embassy we participate in a English Discussion Group that allows us to the chance to visit the local schools where we sit, speak and converse with the Djiboutian High School population.

Perhaps it could be narrow mind-ness on my behalf but never before have I witnessed a group so ambitious. An ambition that makes me jealous that my ‘great’ country lacks it. These are people who not only wanted to be Doctors, Lawyers, Educators and all those great careers. But they wanted to make Djibouti better. They wanted to be a catalyst for change! That is something I’ve never heard. Sure American’s say I want to do this and that. But few will openly say that they want to do it to make the country a better place.

It’s caused me to wonder, why we don’t do more to make suffering countries like this prosper. Sure we send our military forces in to partake in humanitarian work, to rebuild the country and the such. But we are doing it wrong. Sure it is great we are doing this. But how much are we doing to provide the local’s with the skills to do it themselves. We have Corpman and Doctors here who could teach the locals. Seabee’s who could teach them how to build and operate equipment. Electricians who could teach them how to do electrical wiring.

When I look at what we do and compare it to what we could do it all seems inadequate. Like we are saying that we care but acting like we only care to a degree. But the ambition and drive that these children demonstrate is par none. I only wish that I could sit there and record it for the rest of the world.

3 comments:

Peachy1960 said...

I read what you write with great pride. I also see how much you are growing as a person. I think most americans are too wrapped up in their own lives to really give much thought to how we can make the lives of others better. Unless we're faced with adverisity on a daily basis, it is unfortunately much easier to turn our head and look the other way or pretend it doesn't exist. Even though you may not be on a "teaching" mission, I have no doubt the people of Djibouti watch and learn from the good work you and the other servicemen provide since they have such a strong desire to make their country better. Keep up the good work. The work you do is a step in the right direction.

Carroll Van Horn said...

I agree with your mom.

Ken Grant said...

Hi,

I have some questions about the safety of living in Djibouti outside of the U.S. Base. I have the opportunity to live in Djibouti and build the new US Embassy compound. It will be a 30 month assignment. I could use your opinion.

Thank you.

Ken