Sunday, April 20, 2008

Pessismism and the ballod of life

I often joke with my wife that I am going to be a Polygamist and have multiple wives. All this originated with Ron Paul (the Mormon) running for President. The latest face to this joke is that my next wife will be a Djiboutian. Last night while at the EDG that I attend regularly now on Mondays. One of the boys told me that the women love me and I did notice some peculiar looks from some of the women that attend the school.

Things are back to normal in the aspect of my job. My momentary lapse of unhappiness with my rate has passed and sunk in. So much that I decided to bounce out of class after my quiz in order to participate in more positive things such as writing this and shortly afterwards reading.

My unhappiness with my rate comes from the fact that I find the work bland. It is the same thing day in and day out. No variety and more importantly I get no satisfaction out of it. What is the product of my work? A signed piece of paper that will be forgotten about for the most part.

Even the customer service facet of it reeks of horribleness. My CLU mate Pelfrey (who is a PS) and I figured out earlier in this IA what is one of the significant reasons people hate being in Admin. Our interaction is rarely on a positive note. When people come to talk to us it is because they have a problem. Something that needs to be fixed and most likely has already soured the mood for the day. Very few people come by just to talk and when they act like that is the reason they come by you later find out that they want something and are trying to be subtle about it.

I know the saying all to well “pick your rate pick your fate”. I think if I could I would have quit by this point in time, and I have another 2 ½ years until I can reconsider doing something else inside or outside the military. I just thank my luck stars that I have an understanding and compassionate wife who is willing to listen to my gripes.

Even this IA has been a sad disappointment. I agreed to it in an effort to advance my career prospects. However that hardly seems the case here at Camp Lemonier. I would be lucky to walk away with a lowly Flag Letter of Commendation. This place is hardly exciting, and leaves you with little free time to enjoy yourself or your surroundings. I do even less here than I would back at the boat. No matter how bitter I seem toward the boat environment I miss it immensely as of late.

2 comments:

Kim said...

You're getting to experience something that the rest of us most likely never will. Whether or not that's a positive experience for you, well, that's up to you. Keep your head up. It's only temporary. And the boat will still be there upon your arrival back home.

Carroll Van Horn said...

Your lovely wife gives GREAT advise.